twinless twin

An area especially for those who are newly bereaved by suicide. If you feel alone or need extra help, please let us know.

twinless twin

Postby jen9094 » Tue Aug 25, 2015 8:17 pm

My twin sister killed herself three weeks ago today. We searched and searched the woods near her home, fearing the worst and found her body the next day. I still can't believe it's true. Can't believe I cannot undo it. My right arm for a time machine.
I feel horrible. I don't think I'll ever believe I didn't fail her. I know I could have helped her, changed everything if I just could have the chance.
I tell her every day that I'm so sorry. That I understand. I struggle that she might have thought I didn't care or would've been burdened by helping her.
I followed her everywhere as a child. I was shy and afraid of everything and she was my rock. They had to separate us in school so I'd be forced to venture away from her. I owed her and no I'll never get the chance to repay her or tell her what she truly meant to me.
We should've been a team. I should have been there to save her. It kills me the hours she spent alone agonizing over her decision.
How do you make peace with it?? How do you ever believe you couldn't have changed it all but didn't??
jen9094
Visitor

Re: twinless twin

Postby Karyl » Thu Aug 27, 2015 8:17 am

Jen,

My heart goes out to you. Losing a sibling could be very difficult to cope with, but a twin has to be at another level because of the bond you have with each other.

What makes you think your sister spent hours agonizing over the decision to end her life?

And how did you find out?
Karyl
Site Admin

Postby jen9094 » Thu Aug 27, 2015 9:12 am

I know she spent hours. She worked with my older sister and left in the middle of the day, never saying a word. She went home once she knew everyone was gone. Her husband has security cameras outside the house. He knows when she got there and knows when she walked away. It was four hours.

How did I find out she died? We were all searching the area for her. My older sister called me and said my twin's husband said there was an ambulance; they found something. As I was driving to the scene, she called again confirming it was her and she was gone. Then my niece called in hysterics because she was the first one to the scene and they were keeping her in a squad car away from her mother's body. She was still in the woods. Propped up against a tree when I got there. It's all still surreal. I can't believe it.
jen9094
Visitor

Postby jen9094 » Thu Aug 27, 2015 10:56 am

For those of you who struggled with guilt, honestly, have any of you found a way to get out from under it? Or does it just boil down to accepting what you cannot change and living with it forever? I don't know how to make myself believe anything differently than I should have been there for her, I could have changed everything.
jen9094
Visitor

Postby Jason » Thu Aug 27, 2015 12:28 pm

jen9094,

First off it is not your fault. We all make choices, your twin chose this and its difficult to understand the reasons why.
I struggled with the fact that the love of my life chose to call her mother instead of me before she made her choice. I felt that had I known I would have been there to help her reason it out better or stopped her if it came to that, but we can not live our lives in distrust of others (something else I had to learn to deal with afterwards).
We all are ultimately responsible for our self, the best we can do is to simply be there when we can for anyone else. Its not your fault she avoided everyone on purpose.
The only way out is to go thru the guilt and grief but sadly it is a life long process.
The choices we make affect so many others in our lives, I am glad you found us here but I am so sorry you have to endure this with us. You may need counseling just like the rest of us have needed. We are here for you.

Much love and peace,
Jason
July 1986 - Oct 2011. Whispering nightly. "Rebecca, I love you. I forgive you. I miss you. I will hold you again."
Jason

Return to Newly Bereaved