Friend lost

Tell us who you are and what brought you here

Friend lost

Postby Fhorn » Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:39 pm

I am not even sure if I have joined the correct type of forum but here goes. On Mar 20 this year my best friend ever lost her husband to suicide and worse yet she was unfortunate enough to be the one to discover the body. She has moved back to Utah to be close to most of her family, which is certainly the best for her, but that leaves me in an unfortunate position. Not only am I dealing with trying to help her cope with the loss and feeling at least some of her pain but for me now the best friend I have ever had in all my years is 900 miles away and that brings it's own set of loss/grief issues.

I have tried to read and study extensively to try to not only learn the best ways I can help her but to understand suicide itself, at least as well as anyone can. No one who has not suffered this type of loss can come close to understanding what she is going through but I am doing the best I can. It is so hard to know what to say and even more importantly what NOT to say. I have just been trying to be there for her if she needs to talk. Not the easiest thing to do when you are separated by 900 miles. Thank goodness for electronics! For me, as I mentioned before, I am dealing with her grief and my own sadness for losing my friend to so much distance. And not only the distance. She is not herself. I understand that is to be expected but it is still hard. It's all hard isn't it? I just keep telling her that even though we are separated by distance I am there beside her in spirit always.

Any suggestions or comments are greatly appreciated. And if I do not belong in this forum, suggestions there would be appreciated also.
Fhorn
Visitor

Return to Introduce Yourself