Hurricane Sandy Reminder

A place to discuss just about anything, to get off-topic. The only restrictions are that discussions and sharing be suitable for a G-rated audience, and that the messages follow the rules of general courtesy and respect for others.

Hurricane Sandy Reminder

Postby Beloved1 » Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:07 pm

This is very important in flooding water that becomes sewage. from http://water.epa.gov/drink/emerprep/emergencydisinfection.cfm

USE ONLY WATER THAT HAS BEEN PROPERLY DISINFECTED FOR DRINKING, COOKING, MAKING ANY PREPARED DRINK, OR FOR BRUSHING TEETH

Use bottled water that has not been exposed to flood waters if it is available.

If you don't have bottled water, you should boil water to make it safe. Boiling water will kill most types of disease-causing organisms that may be present. If the water is cloudy, filter it through clean cloths or allow it to settle, and draw off the clear water for boiling. Boil the water for one minute, let it cool, and store it in clean containers with covers.

If you can't boil water, you can disinfect it using household bleach. Bleach will kill some, but not all, types of disease-causing organisms that may be in the water. If the water is cloudy, filter it through clean cloths or allow it to settle, and draw off the clear water for disinfection. Add 1/8 teaspoon (or 8 drops) of regular, unscented, liquid household bleach for each gallon* of water, stir it well and let it stand for 30 minutes before you use it. Store disinfected water in clean containers with covers.

*There are 16 cups in a gallon!

Of course, after surviving the suicide of our loved one, this is nothing! (((hugs)))
Beloved1
Regular

Hurricane Sandy

Postby Beloved1 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:38 am

I only feel good when I DO! something. Officials here in New York City want volunteers to stay in to avoid getting hurt so I donated $25 to the Red Cross and came up with a tagline - Donating is volunteering! https://www.redcross.org/donate/index.jsp?donateStep=2&itemId=prod10002 I hope this helps.
Beloved1
Regular

Return to The Corner Cafe