Jacob and my grandfather

A place to discuss just about anything, to get off-topic. The only restrictions are that discussions and sharing be suitable for a G-rated audience, and that the messages follow the rules of general courtesy and respect for others.

Jacob and my grandfather

Postby Bereaved1 » Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:04 am

Jacob reminded me of my grandfather who died when I was 4 years old and who taught me how to cross the street so I could go to movies by myself. They were both kind of zany. One time that Jacob told me on a Saturday night that he was going to a Bar BQ and he wasn't inviting me, I told him to come over, pick up his stuff and give me back the key. He rushed over here wearing sandals from 2 different pairs of shoes which was very unlike him since his whole persona was based on looking good. He ironed the shirt he was going to wear every morning. Yesterday, I saw "Beasts Of The Southern Wild" and identified my 4 year old self with Quvenzhané Wallis' 6 year old character, Hushpuppy. I think my moxie was pretty well gone by the time I was 6. I felt sluggish all morning, probably mourning. Is that why they call it morning?
"And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight inside the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom." Anais Nin
Bereaved1
Supporting

Re: Jacob and my grandfather PS

Postby Bereaved1 » Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:20 am

If you haven't seen Beasts Of The Southern Wild, I recommend that you do for survival inspiration. There's a good review at http://www.boxoffice.com/reviews/2012-0 ... thern-wild - As in that other great Southern fable "The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn," the main focus in Beasts of the Southern Wild is on a child—Wallis' Hushpuppy, vivified by one of the most indelible child performances in recent memory. Beasts is shot almost entirely from Hushpuppy's point of view, and the character is in virtually every scene—raging, cowering, exploring, and, most importantly, seething with life. Wallis' feral, passionate wild child would be remarkable from any actor of any age; from a prepubescent novice, she is little short of a miracle. Hushpuppy carries the movie, lending a child-like sense of openness and wonder that makes even the most outrageous visual conceits seem vivid and true.

In remaking one of the most destructive natural disasters in American history into a bildungsroman of resurrection and rebirth, Zeitlin makes the point that the life force he sees everywhere in the disaster region is stronger and more persevering than anything God or man can throw at it. Despite the tragedy that inspired it, Beasts is ultimately not a requiem but a celebration—a survival tale, told in the leering, hallucinatory colors of a garish Mardi Gras float. Weird, resonant and moving, Beasts of the Southern Wild honors the Gulf Coast in the most appropriate way possible: by inventing a ferocious cinematic patois that, as the storm rises, rages right back.

We really need this story in the medicated world where conformity is revered.
"And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight inside the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom." Anais Nin
Bereaved1
Supporting

Return to The Corner Cafe