Craniosacral Therapy

A place to discuss just about anything, to get off-topic. The only restrictions are that discussions and sharing be suitable for a G-rated audience, and that the messages follow the rules of general courtesy and respect for others.

Craniosacral Therapy

Postby insearchofpeace » Thu Jul 26, 2012 2:01 pm

x
Last edited by insearchofpeace on Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
“Perfer et obdura, dolor hic tibi proderit olim" ~Ovid
insearchofpeace
Regular

Re: Craniosacral Therapy

Postby Blossom » Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:41 pm

Insearchofpeace, I started 'collecting' therapies. Never been a door knocker in this regard, but realised that each therapy was a river that led to the sea. I don't know about this particular therapy, but I do know that at least trying, gives you a chance to find something that resonates. Everyone is different. We are all on a search for support. I know how vulnerable this time is for you...it sounds like you have a caring friend who will treat you very gently.

It seems to me that there are two camps. Orthodox (biological/medical healing) and unorthodox (energy healing) and a many many crossover points between the two. I have been homeopathically treated for about 27 years - I have also had my appendix out. Best of both worlds. You will be fine - I think most people gather a mixed basket of support and whatever feels right for you is right for you. I understand though, that it is a bit hard to find those gut feelings to trust in the midst of the trauma of your loss. I had quick look at this therapy and, like all energy healing, it does not impose anything on one, but works with what is there energywise.

When I had my first massage I was very afraid of what would be unleashed....so pent up inside that I thought there was a risk I would literally physically explode. I didn't. And some big tears appeard (this is all in a normal day's work for the therapist)....and embarrassingly I burst out laughing as well (also in a day's work). I did a harp therapy workshop after my son died and I had to recite a shopping list in my head at one point because it got too close to the raw stuff and I thought I would um....you know - but that was in a room full of people who were 'learning'. I also did art therapy (which I am going back to having let it slip). Writing on waking is also another therapy I use...before the brain engages censor mode...and it helps to me have a cry each morning, and not carry so much 'weight' all day.

On reflection, hands on therapy (massage) was the most beneficial at the beginning. Craniosacra therapy sounds very gentle and a gift from your friend. Can I advise something? Anything that releases tension/feelings has an equivalent biological release of 'stuff' and you can help it along with drinking water afterwards. Hope this helps a little. You'll be ok. If it's valid for you, then it's valid for you.
Blossom x

If nothing else, give refuge to those in need.
Blossom
Mentor

Postby Bereaved1 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:43 pm

A shiatsu therapist friend of mine did Cranial Sacral therapy for me right after I had a whiplash accident. It was very effective. Basically, it was a great head, neck and shoulder massage and then she held my head and let it move wherever it wanted to go. My whiplashed muscles were normal the next day with no trauma that I think I would have had if I didn't have the therapy. It felt like it kept everything moving and circulating, so it nothing seized up. That was for a physical injury. You have emotional trauma, so, your tears will probably flow when you have it. That's a good thing if you feel safe telling your friend before you start why you will be crying. Then just cry with no shame. Therapists are used to tears. You aren't screwed up. You're just in grief. It could be a great release for you.

Since you feel nervous and anxious you might be having a flashback. This link is helpful for me. http://www.pete-walker.com/13StepsManageFlashbacks.htm
(hug)
"And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight inside the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom." Anais Nin
Bereaved1
Supporting

Postby cmarie » Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:02 pm

I have done a bit of the "physical therapies" massage, and something I ant even rememeber the name of. I explained to both practitioners that I wasn't sure what would be unleashed (thank you blossom for the word), and was nervous/anxious about it. I am glad I did both things. They both moved me a long the path a little I think.

I hope that if you do decide to go through with it, it is helpful in some way. Sometimes it's surprising.
I'll love you forever,
I'll like you for always.
As long as I'm living,
My baby you'll be.
cmarie
Supporting

Postby insearchofpeace » Fri Aug 03, 2012 3:25 pm

x
Last edited by insearchofpeace on Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
insearchofpeace
Regular

Postby Bereaved1 » Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:23 pm

I'm so glad it was good for you. I used the term massage as in Shiatsu massage that uses pressure just as you describe. There's a good explanation at http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-shiatsu-massage.htm
"And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight inside the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom." Anais Nin
Bereaved1
Supporting

REM therapies

Postby insearchofpeace » Sat Aug 04, 2012 12:19 pm

x
Last edited by insearchofpeace on Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
insearchofpeace
Regular

Postby Blossom » Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:45 pm

Sorry, I can't help. All I know is that if any therapy is good for me, there is a a kind follow-on inner consolidation (okay, not always sustained) that has ripples. The one thing that 'talk' therapy does for me....is that I get a bit of confidence that I am doing ok, that I am normal etc. without actually being reassured with those words.
Blossom x

If nothing else, give refuge to those in need.
Blossom
Mentor

Postby cali » Sun Aug 05, 2012 12:12 am

Craniosacral therapy is a very specific but broad modality. I think it's wonderful. As the name implies it works with the energy that naturally flows between and in the cranium and the base of the spine. It works with the energetically reflective quality of the two areas. It is often included in other work, such as polarity or osteopathic practices. The experience of one session may be completely different- both in the effect it has and the methodology, from another, because the body of the work is large and cannot be "gotten" in one or just a few sessions. Not to say that one or just a few sessions would be less beneficial without having several. Just that it's multifaceted. I have really benefitted from it in the past, haven't had that kind of treatment for many years, happy to be reminded of it.
cali
Supporting

Postby cali » Sun Aug 05, 2012 12:39 am

Rapid Eye Movement or Rem, is commonly known as an important stage of sleep. When the Rem stage occurs during sleep, we are dreaming. A typical normal nights sleep will include at least 5 or 6 Rem periods, which gradually increase in length. Unless we make a deliberate practice of training ourselves to wake and remember our dreams- and record them after each Rem period, we will recall far fewer dreams than we actually have. These are the findings of the research I've read about, when I was practicing lucid dreaming.
Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing therapy mimics Rem, though in most therapeutic settings the eye movement is generally not as rapid as it is in true Rem sleep.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EMDR.
I wonder if it wouldn't be more effective if it was. I use EMDR in therapy but with hand held things that vibrate alternately on the left or right. (involves switching nervous system awareness from side to side, but no real eye movement.) Without something mechanical ( the military has developed an eye level row of rapid sequentially blinking lights that go back and forth from one side to the other for this which I would love to try), my experience with following someones finger for example, has given me a headache- the movement is not specific enough.
I am waiting for some guided imagery CDs for trauma, pts and grief, from Belleruth Naparstek. They seem to have helped a lot of people. They also address healing sleep. Think we all need some of that.
cali
Supporting

Next

Return to The Corner Cafe