Anyone do yoga?

A place to discuss just about anything, to get off-topic. The only restrictions are that discussions and sharing be suitable for a G-rated audience, and that the messages follow the rules of general courtesy and respect for others.

Anyone do yoga?

Postby Tootle » Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:03 pm

When my brother first died almost 9 months ago, someone suggested I try yoga...I brushed them off, saying that yoga wasn't for me(I'd never tried it).. It wasn't until the spring that I actually tried it, some friends suggested I come with them for our first time together.. I found that i quite liked it, but not enough to go daily and then I got a free hot yoga session from the yoga I was doing, so I tried it. I was amazed at how comforted I felt, for the first time since his death I actually felt comforted in a strange warm way. Since that first time 1 1/2 months ago, I have found it is a very valuable coping tool. I can settle my thoughts and focus while I'm there because hot yoga requires focus...something I find very challenging at the best of times. I go almost everyday now. I feel better. I think because it is quite intense at 105F, it meets some of the intensity of my grief in a way that I can't really explain, I just know that hot yoga has become an important tool for me.

I just wanted to ask if anyone else out there has tried either yoga or hot yoga and if it does the same for them?
In memory of my big brother Rob, my hero and best friend.

To forget time. To forgive life. To be at peace.
Tootle
Active

Re: Anyone do yoga?

Postby LostFox » Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:00 am

I've never done hot yoga, but I have done yoga. I took a class as my PE requirement in college a few years ago. Oddly enough, I usually left those classes feeling angry or stressed. Since then, I have done different routines on my own at various times. It must have been something about that teacher's style... because doing it on my own, or the very few sessions I have had with a different instructor made me feel differently. It does make me feel better. Yoga and meditation help my mental health. And it has always helped my posture.

The hard part for me is making myself get started. If I can get in the routine, and keep it up I'm fine. But it's so hard for me to make that first step. And eventually something will come up and my routine will be broken and I'll have to start all over again. Having a regular schedule with a local teacher would probably help me... but I'm not in a good position for that right now.

But yes, I love it and it helps me too. My last instructor mentioned hot sessions and told me it's a totally different experience. Maybe I'll try it sometime.

-- Zach
LostFox

Return to The Corner Cafe