EFFEXOR!!!

A discussion of any suicide issue or grief topic that don't fit elsewhere.

EFFEXOR!!!

Postby fay48 » Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:53 am

I dont quite know where this topic belongs really, but i have spent many days trying to decide wether to post this at all. Over the last 11 months i have been on an eternal quest to discover why my husbands personality completley changed during the last six months of his life. After 27 years together i knew without question, that something was terribly wrong, and simply couldn't believe that this sudden change was all due to depression. My research has all been a desperate attempt to find evidence to support my absolute belief that SOMETHING wasn't right. My husband started on a medication called effexor, 7 months prior to his passing, and very shortly after ( in hindsight) he was complaining of hallucinations, palpitations, chronic panic attacks, very heavy drinking, almost a compulsion, despite having a problem with drink binges, this was something i had never known the likes of. Two weeks before he took his life, he explained to his Dr that he didn't feel his medication was helping him and it was decided he would be tapered off, and a second drug was introduced along with the tapering. For so long i beleived that this change played some roll in the rapid decline of his mental state. Whilst i was concentrating all of my energy trying to discover wether or not this second drug had had an adverse effect on my husband ( a common side effect being suicidal idealisaton) i stumbled upon a section about the drug effexor. I couldnt quite take in what i was reading. I discovered page after page after page, of testaments, about this drug, thousands of people were having or had had compelling cravings for alcohol, some of these people had never drank, all of the side effects listed, were exactly what my husband had been experiencing. Also when reducing, or discontinuing this drug, the withdrawals were " a living hell " due to its short half life, just missing one dose can cause a rapid decline. I discovered that there has been law suits against doctors and the manufacturer alike for the damage this drug has done, due to the fact that failed to disclose a complete list of adverse effects this drug can cause. I have read many many testimonals from people who were prescribed this drug, having their lives ruined whilst taking or discontinuing it, it is described as poison by many people. I also discovered that there is a petion on the internet to get this drug banned. There is also a yellow card reporting site to lodge reports of any damage this drug has done to people. Please dont think i am scare mongering, my only wish is to inform people of the dangers and perhaps hear any similar stories from anyone who knows about this problem, and to make people aware, that if a loved one or anyone they know are given this drug or were given this drug, please look into it. I simply searched effexor and alcohol, and effexor withdrawals. Perhaps anyone who has had a similar experinece, or any further knowledge could let me know, im sorry this post is so long, and i am well aware that not all people will have had the same side effects, and BENEFIT AND RISK FACTORS, when depressoin is apparent have to be taken into account, but this drug has destroyed so many lives i made the decision to write this post. If i cant reach people here, then i dont know how else to get my message to so many people. Fay.
i missed you yesterday, i miss you today and i will miss you tommorow and always x
fay48
Regular

Re: EFFEXOR!!!

Postby lainie » Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:16 pm

It breaks my heart to hear your story...My son took one antidepressant after another in the effort to get well...he was a doctor himself and treated patients with these drugs with
success but he had horrid side effects to them all..and the last one that he took for 8 weeks, paxil, I am sure, is what killed him. The number one side effect of these drugs are
suicidal ideation, and they tell you to tell your doctor if this happens..what a joke, it is too late then...I would love to see them all banned! I know they do help some, and I do know
that there is depression, and then there is DEPRESSION....I know my son's depression was a chemical imbalance of the brain caused by no sleep...he worked 18 hours a day, for 30 days
straight before he crashed...and he would go 40 hours at a time without sleep in medical school, residency time and time again. Thank you for posting this, hopefully we can help reach others to help educate people to investigate side effects before taking these drugs...and I do believe effexor was one of the drugs they gave him and it gave him bad neurological side effect and he stopped it. I think the doctors are now realizing that antidepressants are not the answer to depression now...at least 1 year of counseling, talk therapy is what is needed
and lots of physical exercise..take care, Lanie
lainie
Regular

Postby fay48 » Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:21 pm

lanie, im so sorry that you too have come to this conclusion, these drugs are taking lives im sure ,instead of doing what they are prescribed for, I could quite clearly see the negative effects this drug was having and i simply couldn't say anything. because of damn patient confidentiality, the only option i had was to write to my husbands careworker and give her what was quite frankly a horror story. They received this letter two days before my husband took his life, but despite this, when he called for help earlier that day, they simply told him to wait until TOMMOROW!!!!! sadly that day never came. I have tortured myself for 11 long months and always will, i urge anyone not to be fobbed off, if a patient is a danger to themselves, they can take action but dont. Please god none of us here ever have to go through this pain ever again, in the same situation i would never call MH i would simply call the police, it appears they have more powers to take immediate action, sadly i was left to call them to find my husband. thinking of every one of you who has sadly had to gather here, Fay x
i missed you yesterday, i miss you today and i will miss you tommorow and always x
fay48
Regular

Postby psyquestor » Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:27 pm

There are many sides to this controversy. Some people on antidepressants have shown an increase of suicidal thoughts; would this have occurred without the medication? It's not easy to determine. Some have said that antidepressants have saved their lives and helped them to get through the worst of their depressive symptoms. The choice is very personal on whether to medicate or not, and it's one that each person should make with their physician or psychologist.

The best place to discuss a specific drug is probably on a website designed for such discussion. That way you can see others opinions as well as comment on your husband's (or son's) experience. I found several by doing a simple google search.

I'm very sorry that these drugs were not more help for your loved ones.
Tammy
Proud Army Mom

I thought I would lay down and die after losing my Son to suicide.
Instead I chose to fight the monster that killed him.
http://www.afsp.org

Hold On, Pain Ends
psyquestor
Supporting

Postby fay48 » Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:20 am

Tammy i did spend many many hours on websites researching this drug, even people who initially found this a wonder drug quickly realized the dangerous negative effects. As i said there are risks and benefits to all drugs (god knows iv'e spent years taking them myself) and my son refuses to take medication. This drug has destroyed many many lives, and i agree it is personal choice, however when patients aren't fully informed about the risks, by the very people manufacturing and prescribing these drugs, they are making a very uninformed choice. I simply urge ANYONE to read and research the information that is not included in the patient information leaflet about the effects documented during clinical trials, but were ommited from the leaflet. The saddest thing for me was discovering that the most harmful side to this drug was the terrifying withdrawal symptoms ( even when done under doctors orders ) so deciding this drug is not for you, is not so simple. I apologise if this is not a place to comment on my personal experiences, of either my husband ( or son) but if it saves just one person through awareness, or helps just one person who doesn't understand what is happening, then maybe it has a place.These drugs in the wrong hands either patient or trainee pschyc do far more harm than good, i have been lucky enough to realise when something is not right for me and have been strong enough to say NO.
fay48
Regular

Postby lainie » Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:20 am

This forum is open to discussion regarding information on suicide. This topic has been openly discussed on many occasions over the last five years and it has been opinions of those
that feel strongly about different medications. It has been stated that while these medication do help many, there are horrific side effects that many have suffered, and in my opinion it is good information to help educate those who are thinking about taking these drugs....I am sorry if I have offended anyone ...I simply stated my feelings on this topic due to my
personal experience...this is what this forum is about! Peace and love,

Lanie
lainie
Regular

Postby fay48 » Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:58 am

lainie, i too felt that there was a place here to maybe help others who can perhaps act now. I have read other posts warning of the dangerous and devastating effects of certain although by no means ALL drugs, with links attached to raise awareness and educate people. Chemicaly indused euphoria in my opinion ( and that of many others) is always a dangerous state of mind and i feel personaly, should be classified, this is why a petition has been created. Sadly the nature of my sons illness means he outright refuses to take any type of drug, he refuses to eat until he is starved of all energy, then will only eat very little, he refuses to drink water too, he hasn't left the house for almost two years, all this because he absolutley beleives there is a government conspiracy to control the mind by including chemicals to everything he digests, sees, hears. I feel it some what unfair to include him in this topic, i made no mention of him here, although i have explained my fears for the future elsewhere on this forum, that fate will repeat itself, maybe we cant interfere with fate, we just have to accept the hand we have been dealt???? But i personaly feel very strongly that anything that maybe ,just maybe could go some small way to warn people of certain dangers to look out for may just be of some help. THE FUTURE IS NOT IN MY HANDS, Im sorry if my post was upsetting or offensive to anyone, i hope we can all find just a little peace, even if is only fleeting.
fay48
Regular

Postby psyquestor » Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:06 am

Whoa - I never said that it could not be discussed here, I simply said that there are other places on the web that discuss these specific issues fay brought to light. Where people are discussing side effects by the hundreds. Rating specific drugs and sharing information about them. (including the one she mentioned). If I were researching a drug, those are the places I would look to for advice about them. (and I have rated the several medications that I've been prescribed over the past 4 years of this hellish journey).

I wanted to add my own opinion, because I am one of the many people who have been helped by antidepressants and I know many of us here are currently taking them. For me, medical intervention was the right choice, though I know it isn't the right choice for everyone. If I was a grieving person reading this thread, I might feel that taking antidepressants would not help me and could harm me. That's why I felt adding balance to the discussion was a good idea. I'm sorry if it offended you or you felt that I did not appreciate your point of view. This is not the case.
Tammy
Proud Army Mom

Hold On, Pain Ends
psyquestor
Supporting

Postby fay48 » Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:39 am

Tammy i too have been treated with anti deppresants for many years, my first prescription being for valium at the age of 13 because i attempted to take my life. This was due to being relentlessly bullied for being an obese child, this created an eating disorder and scars that i still have to this day. I had a very very unhappy childhood, this cycle went on for many years, i won't tell my whole story, it may have no place here, What i have experienced is that place that is so dark that my mind was disturbed to a point that i couldn;t see another way. I am not anti prescription drugs, they are not all bad. there was a time when L.S.D was dished out, but thankfully due to an advance in research this drug was banned on prescription, when it was discovered that it was causing devastation to so many people. I stand by my conviction that witholding important information from patients and care givers is irresponsible and downright dangerous. i have been on both sides of risk and benefit, they go hand in hand. I felt it somewhat unfair to include my son in a post that made no reference to his illness and wondered what had evoked this response? Fay.
fay48
Regular

Postby psyquestor » Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:44 am

I felt it somewhat unfair to include my son in a post that made no reference to his illness and wondered what had evoked this response? Fay.

I never referenced your son. I was speaking of Lanie's son, who died by suicide although he was under the care of a physician while taking antidepressants.
Tammy
Proud Army Mom

Hold On, Pain Ends
psyquestor
Supporting

Next

Return to Miscellaneous