Not sure if this goes here...but I'm going to ask anyway

For those who wish to share how your faith has helped you deal with the suicide of another perons -- if you can do so in a non-preachy way.

Not sure if this goes here...but I'm going to ask anyway

Postby Moun10dew » Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:45 pm

First off let me say I'm sorry if my question here offends anyone. It is so far away from being the purpose....I'm just trying to find what I can. Ok...this a duel purpose question. I was just chatting with a good friend of mine and then she said she asked me what my religious background was. I told her Presbyterian. I asked why and she responded "my niece and nephew just lost one of their best friends to suicide and someone from their church made the comment that in the bible it says if one takes their own life they wont be allowed to enter the kingdom of heaven....". My girlfriend Kristin that recently committed suicide was an atheist. I'm not sure if she was ever baptized or if she did ever believe...wasn't really a topic that we got to discussing. I'm looking on the net and there seems to be a lot of debate on two issues 1. if someone that commits suicide is allowed into heaven and 2. if someone is an atheist if they are not allowed into heaven.

I'm going in with the belief that since God is the forgiving loving one that he is that he will have taken away all her pain and that she will be there when I get to heaven someday. If she's not there then I'm not sure I'm going to want to be there. I'm going to assume that most of us believe that our loved one will have been taken into the arms of God and that their paid will have been taken away. If not...can you please elaborate as to why you feel that way?
Moun10dew
Regular

Re: Not sure if this goes here...but I'm going to ask anyway

Postby psyquestor » Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:47 pm

Moun10, I was not offended in the slightest by your question and yes, I do believe this is the right place for it. This has been discussed here previously and I think finding those threads may be helpful to you. There is no place in the Bible that states that those who die by suicide are prevented from going through Heaven's Gates. If you look up suicide in the Bible it talks about three separate people who struggled with suicidal thoughts and one who died this way. It does not say he was prevented from going to Heaven. I'm short on time presently, but I will try to find those names and paragraphs for you. (you could Google it perhaps in the meantime?)

My belief system has changed somewhat since losing my son, but I do believe that God is a loving being and that he takes those who are ill or weak, into his arms. My son was not a criminal, he was a depressed man, who was ill at the time of his death. God does not punish ill people - only evil ones. (and I believe he loves those people too and perhaps they are able to repent? I'm not sure M10, just my feelings on this.)
Tammy
Proud Army Mom

I thought I would lay down and die after losing my Son to suicide.
Instead I chose to fight the monster that killed him.
http://www.afsp.org

Hold On, Pain Ends
psyquestor
Supporting

Postby insearchofpeace » Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:59 pm

x
Last edited by insearchofpeace on Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Perfer et obdura, dolor hic tibi proderit olim" ~Ovid
insearchofpeace
Regular

Postby Moun10dew » Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:05 pm

Thank you for that posting insearchofpeace. I read it and think that is great. I have copied the text and sent it to my friend that originally asked me the question. Hopefully they can forward it on to the friends of hers that lost their friend.
Moun10dew
Regular

Postby kansley » Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:00 pm

This is something that everyone who loses a loved on to suicide struggles with. My son was a devout believer. The final days of his life he spent reading his bible and praying and praying with others who were in the hospital with him. His mind was ill, his spirit was not. Since his death I have known pastors, pastors children, pastor's spouses and many other strong believers who have lost their lives to suicide. Most recently, Pastor Rick Warren lost his son to suicide. It has often been said on this site that suicide is the result of a brain that has become altered by illness or medications or stress or injury. When someone dies of cancer or a heart attack or any other "understandable" illness, no one questions if they are going to heaven if they were a believer, so why should we question it if our loved one had an illness that affected their brain and caused their death? I am confident that God's love is perfect and wise and pure and that His knows the hearts of his children and calls them home when He decides. I am also confident that I will see my precious son one day and spend all eternity wit him in the presence of our precious Lord. We must each come to peace with our journey and I have found that my faith has allowed me to continue living my life in peace with a great anticipation of the day when I will be reunited with my son and all my loved ones whose have placed their hope and confidence in God and His son, Jesus. It is what keeps me going, what calms the storms in my life and what put the joy back in my life after my son died.
K Ansley
Jason's Mom
kansley
Regular

Return to Spiritual Sharing