Book

A place for review and commentary on books about suicide or suicide grief, on movies (or televison shows) or songs which touch upon suicide issues.

Book

Postby Blossom » Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:06 pm

Oh gosh, the books I have read in the last 3 years...now that life is filtering in quite a bit, and although I am still in 'seek' mode, I can now peruse and pick up on any personally potential insights or guidance in any book I encounter. Mostly, I get that 'been there, done that' feeling, as if I am watching repeats on tv. Often, reading the repeats are a helpful benchmark for how far I have come...something I am not seeking, but a bonus of sorts (inner sense of relief...).

Well, here comes another book...and not a repeat for me.

"Healing through the dark emotions : The wisdom of grief, fear and despair" , Greenspan, Miriam.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Healing-through-Dark-Emotions-Despair/dp/1590301013/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1379026966&sr=8-1&keywords=healing+through+the+dark+emotions

I'm still on the planet, despite some very serious lows. I'm tired of reading about how the 'dives' are not good, unhealthy, need to be 'attended to' etc. They ust keep happening, although they are quite far apart these days. Sort of goes along the lines of...'despair is normal, but here are some ideas for doing something about it'...and I have given that advice myself. Find me a softer word for guilty.

This book is the 'lean into grief' variety...but breaks it down quite a bit. The jewel (for me) is that despair is real, and I find that simple acknowledgement actually exciting...it means for me that even despair is useful and I am churning through this book with that yes, yes, yes, response. It is not a book that would have been helpful to me in early grief. It seems that it waited for my arrival.

Today, the letter ' ' is not working on my keyboard. That is, the letter ' ' as in ' ay', the bird, or 'et' the fast flying aeroplane, or my name, 'an'. Hey, I ust went to spell checker and fixed one!

And while I'm here...I am visiting a young lady who tried to take her life...hand massages in the trauma care unit, a young man who attempted to take his life a month ago...I have found a fishing mate. I have four friends who have young adult children with mental health problems...all of them, nestled in the perfect 'western' version family life....and those families are in a long term crisis with this. All loving people. And I am mad. It is not making sense. My brain is instantly fatigued at trying to fathom this....so, I fall back on what I can now do...and that is doing, ust (there's that invisible letter again) doing. So, having had a period of smooth sailing in the housework department, the place is a shambles again...and I am am learning that the shamblolic house is a pretty good indicator of me actually living my life instead of sitting in a sea of perfection (what on earth is that anyway?). Well, that book recommendation turned into a rant. Usually the point at which I delete. What the heck, I'll let it go through. Me me me!
Blossom x

If nothing else, give refuge to those in need.
Blossom
Mentor

Re: Book

Postby cmarie » Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:55 pm

You've made me giggle- thank you. I will loan you a 'j'
I will check out the book. Never a rant from you - always some food for thought. And I am mad too, and helpless.
I'll love you forever,
I'll like you for always.
As long as I'm living,
My baby you'll be.
cmarie
Supporting

Return to Books, Movies, and Songs