When someone you love completes suicide: Article

A place for review and commentary on books about suicide or suicide grief, on movies (or televison shows) or songs which touch upon suicide issues.

Re: When someone you love completes suicide: Article

Postby Blossom » Fri Sep 21, 2012 5:36 am

cali....didn't know how to say this diplomatically on here without offending anyone, but the fellow is born-again...kept quoting the Bible at me, the 'oracle' stage I have witnessed a few times in my life. I believe this is also a painful internal experience.

Some happy news - went to dinner with old boyfriend who was in town for a visit (he had never met my son - that's how long ago...), and he gave me a (spare) melodion. I had returned my old melodion to the person I had borrowed it from - never thought I would have one in my hands again. Inspiration : can whip out my melodion and drown people out if necessary. Perfect. Sigh, this is chatting, not on topic. I won't delete though. I hope you are travelling well, cali.
Blossom x

If nothing else, give refuge to those in need.
Blossom
Mentor

Postby Bereaved1 » Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:17 am

Blossom, if this is what you posted about, I need one! Music is high on my emoCrash list. see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DgIcmQrT4aM
"And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight inside the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom." Anais Nin
Bereaved1
Supporting

Postby Blossom » Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:54 am

Um, the button accordion variety - gotta get off here - off topic.
Blossom x

Blossom
Mentor

Postby cali » Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:54 am

x
Last edited by cali on Sat Sep 22, 2012 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
cali
Supporting

Postby Blossom » Fri Sep 21, 2012 5:14 pm

It's big, cali. The gates are flung open through this bereavement. So much to untangle, and the world doesn't stop while we are in the process. If it could just stay still for a minute.
Blossom x

Blossom
Mentor

Postby psyquestor » Fri Sep 21, 2012 6:47 pm

Cali, I agree with you. My son's illness clouded his thoughts. It was not my son who chose, but those ever present depressive thoughts. I don't believe the author is referring to this, so much as he is stating not to blame yourself. The choice was made by the person themselves - under whatever circumstances or illusion they were under - we did not choose it for them.

<3
Tammy
Proud Army Mom

I thought I would lay down and die after losing my Son to suicide.
Instead I chose to fight the monster that killed him.
http://www.afsp.org

Hold On, Pain Ends
psyquestor
Supporting

Postby cali » Sat Sep 22, 2012 12:57 am

/
Last edited by cali on Sat Sep 22, 2012 10:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
cali
Supporting

Postby Suzanne » Sat Sep 22, 2012 8:08 am

Yes, Cali, I see your point. Dave was exactly in that position of feeling he had no choice. He just did not know how to live anymore. In our case, unlike yours, Dave had exhausted many, many classes of medications and many types of talk therapy. There was no relief in any of it for him. So for us, it was not that the medical system had failed, but that they just did not know enough about depression and how to treat it. I guess there is no blame there. That did not excuse the callousness of his psychopharmacologist when Dave's last course of medication resulted in serious and disturbing hallucinations. The emergency room doc was astounded at the combination of drugs Dave was taking. His therapist told Dave, "We are in uncharted territory." At that point Dave backed out of treatment and lived only a few more months.
Suicide is so complex. In the course of the past 6 years in my compulsive reading, I read an article about the difficulty of assessing the relationship between antidepressants and suicide (either to prevent or to exacerbate suicidal thoughts) because it is very difficult to predict exactly which patients with suicidal thoughts might actually complete suicide.

And, Blossom, a poem has found me! I was breezing through Poetry magazine online and there it was in the Summer issue. I will post it in a separate thread.

Suzanne
Wife of Dave 10/17/47-11/1/06
Read our story
http://books.google.com/books?id=4zThE8 ... A7o6s-fPpU
Suzanne
Active

Previous

Return to Books, Movies, and Songs