Gives me strenght when surrounded by negativity

For inspirational poems or quotes. Please include the name of the author.

Gives me strenght when surrounded by negativity

Postby fay48 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:27 am

Whenever i am flooded with all the negative cruel things that people have said to me recently, and managed to bring me to my knees again, i remember the words of a poem read at Garry's funeral, its title is, " IT IS NOT HOW HE DIED, BUT HOW HE LIVED" i cant recall the author but will check and get back, but a quick search on google finds it. When i am being dragged down by people only recalling the bad times, and people who love to gossip, the words of this poem have the power to flood my mind with all of the fantastic happy times and the many good things that Garry did for people, even strangers, wow, he even took learner of the year in his counceling skills course, so HOW could he have been a selfish person??????????? :?:
i missed you yesterday, i miss you today and i will miss you tommorow and always x
fay48
Regular

Re: Gives me strenght when surrounded by negativity

Postby cali » Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:06 am

It is so true. Reading the many comments posted after news articles about someone well known who has died of suicide, you see the rampant misperceptions that are out there about suicide. Things like:
"it is impossible that this person died of suicide, because he was such a compassionate and honest person and had so many friends"
"He took the easy way out"
and of course, the angry statements about selfishness.
In many ways, suicide is still a mystery to most of us. But the more we learn, the more it seems that almost any type of person can die of this illness... and it does not define their lives. It is how they died, not how they lived before this monstrosity took them away.
Gary sounds like a wonderful, kind, and giving person. I am so sorry for your loss.
cali
Supporting

Re: Gives me strength when surrounded by negativity

Postby fay48 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:48 am

Thank you cali, your words are so true. I have been wondering if a ribbon exsits in support of suicide awareness? if there is i would like wear one with pride in memory of all of our loved ones, maybe someone can let me know, if not why not???? many illnesses have a ribbon to wear to raise awareness and support a cause. i think it would come as quite a shock to many people, realising just how many people this illness affects and in a very silent way, saying to the world " I AM PROUD OF THE PERSON I LOST " if a ribbon already exsists, please let me know.
i missed you yesterday, i miss you today and i will miss you tommorow and always x
fay48
Regular

Postby Beloved1 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:09 pm

fay, I just Googled "ribbon for suicide survivor" and found that many survivor groups have adopted the yellow ribbon. a couple of years ago we talked about a yellow plastic bracelet with the inscription "silence leads to sadness".
Beloved1
Regular

Postby cali » Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:52 am

I did a search for ribbons... and there seem to be a lot of different ones for suicide survivors, in fact, there is one depicted at the top of this site. I hope one day a ribbon will coalesce that everyone will see and connect with, like the pink ones for breast cancer. xo.
cali
Supporting

Postby fay48 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:27 am

cali, i have spent many hours searching for ribbons because i wanted me and my family to wear one on the first memorial of garry's passing. i am actually quite angry that it is easier to purchase a pin/ribbon for the protection of birds than to raise awareness of an illness resulting in loss of life !!!! i did find ONE site where i could buy items with the logo on this site...... a t shirt costing £27.00 and keyrings costing £3.75 and none of the proceeds go to charity :cry: i feel so strongly about doing this in garry's memory, i will highly likely purchase these anyway. we have many charity shops here in the uk called MIND and yet there is nothing available to raise awareness. i think here in the uk we are embarrasingly lacking in any kind of awareness of such a massive problem, better swept under the carpet for fear of maybe upsetting people, no wonder the biggots are so ignorant grrr. ( i desperatley needed that rant !!! )
fay48
Regular

Postby fay48 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:59 am

i have decided to use pos ffos logo to make my own window flyers and have t shirts printed, i would love to contact the media to appeal for a company to produce goods in aid of charity?????? Fay x
fay48
Regular

Postby psyquestor » Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:59 am

fay48 wrote:i have decided to use pos ffos logo to make my own window flyers and have t shirts printed, i would love to contact the media to appeal for a company to produce goods in aid of charity?????? Fay x

Fay, Contact Karyl about using the logo. It's a lovely idea, but since the site is owned by her, I would ask if she would mind out of courtesy.
Tammy
Proud Army Mom

I thought I would lay down and die after losing my Son to suicide.
Instead I chose to fight the monster that killed him.
http://www.afsp.org

Hold On, Pain Ends
psyquestor
Supporting

Postby fay48 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:04 pm

Thankyou Tammy i did wonder if i should enquire about copyright issues, i wasnt sure who to contact, because i found the logo on another site, once again thank you for maybe saving my butt x
fay48
Regular

Return to Inspiration