Indiana suicide statistics

For discussion of suicide prevention ideas, programs, research, etc.

Indiana suicide statistics

Postby RD12 » Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:17 am

These numbers are shocking. Yet depression and suicide is a topic that continues to be swept under the rug.

http://www.wishtv.com/news/indiana/indiana-suicide-statistics

INDIANAPOLIS (WISH) - The suicide of the 14-year old in Marion brings attention to a problem rarely discussed publicly in Indiana. The sad reality of suicide is evident in the number of people who kill themselves in Indiana.

The Indiana State Department of Health keeps statistics on suicide.

More than 800 people a year die by suicide, that's an average of two Hoosiers a day. 24-Hour News 8 looked at the last five years of data and found kids under 14-years old are the least likely of any age group to commit suicide.

Still, that age group makes up nearly 4 percent of Indiana suicides.

More people between age 45 and 54 kill themselves than teens. Nearly three times as many people kill themselves than are killed in a homicide.

According to the Indiana Youth Risk Behavior Survey done of students in grades 9-12, during the past year:
•29 percent felt so sad or hopeless almost every day for two weeks or more in a row that they stopped doing their usual activities
•19 percent said they seriously considered suicide
•14 percent made a plan about how they would attempt suicide
•11 percent actually attempted suicide
•4 percent made a suicide attempt that resulted in an injury, poisoning, or overdose that had to be treated medically
RD12
Regular

Re: Indiana suicide statistics

Postby psyquestor » Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:45 am

Very sad statistics and yet, it gets such little media attention. Statistics for suicide deaths are higher nationally than all cancers combined. . . and yet, we're not talking about it.

My heart goes out to the young person's family mentioned in this article. Fourteen years old :*( Hardly even lived before she died. I hope her story helps someone else to survive their own suicidality.
Tammy
Proud Army Mom

I thought I would lay down and die after losing my Son to suicide.
Instead I chose to fight the monster that killed him.
http://www.afsp.org

Hold On, Pain Ends
psyquestor
Supporting

Return to Suicide Prevention