New York State Gun Control Legislation

For discussion of suicide prevention ideas, programs, research, etc.

New York State Gun Control Legislation

Postby Beloved1 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:31 pm

This just in...I feel it's good leadership.

Dear Friend,

Two weeks ago, thanks to the Governor's leadership and the courage of the NY Senate and Assembly, New York State put in place the toughest gun laws in the nation. The NY Safe Act’s measures are aimed at keeping guns out of the hands of criminals and the mentally ill while respecting the rights of legal gun owners.

Yesterday, New York Times Editorial page editor Andrew Rosenthal praised the Governor for getting "the value of boldness," and ignoring the political impact of passing such difficult legislation.

Rosenthal writes that the Governor “deserves a lot of credit” for taking on gun reform, despite the political sensitivity to the issue across the country.

As the Governor said on a radio appearance yesterday, "I'm not here to lead by polls. I'm here to solve problems and I'm here to solve the tough problems."

Together, we've brought about fundamental change in Albany and made government work for the people once again. And with the support of the people, the Governor will continue to take on tough, but important battles to better serve and protect all New Yorkers.

Thank you for your continued support,

The Andrew Cuomo Committee
Beloved1
Regular

Re: New York State Gun Control Legislation

Postby Beloved1 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:39 pm

I just got this update on Lawrence O'Donnell's praise of Governor Cuomo's political bravery. Since it all starts at the top, maybe this is the beginning of a new wave of even more personal bravery. I can't find the John LeCarré book that has the quote about a person needing to be a hero to simply be a human being these days. If anybody knows, please tell me.

Dear Friend,

Last night, MSNBC's Lawrence O'Donnell devoted his 10-minute segment on the "The Last Word" to political bravery. O'Donnell praised Governor Cuomo as the latest model of political bravery in pushing through the NY Safe Act.

“There’s nothing more rare in politics than a politician doing something he or she knows will cost politically, hurt in the polls," O'Donnell says. "Most political careers never involve political bravery. When we see it, we must salute it, we must encourage it, or we risk never seeing it again.”

In the segment, O'Donnell also highlighted the Governor's father, Mario Cuomo, who took a courageous stance against the death penalty, despite the political risk.

O'Donnell commends Governor Cuomo for being one of the few politicians who means it when he says, "We are not here to duck the tough issues, we are here to take on the tough issues."

Sincerely,

The Andrew Cuomo Committee
Beloved1
Regular

Return to Suicide Prevention