Need help with suicide prevention campaign

For discussion of suicide prevention ideas, programs, research, etc.

Re: Need help with suicide prevention campaign

Postby Bereaved1 » Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:46 am

We need to target the reasons people get so desperate. It's not only the health professions that need to learn. They are called in after the damage has been done. It's the mass media, financial institutions, drug companies, advertising, social media, and other bullies that usurp people's power and the right and ability to think for yourself and be yourself, accepted as a valuable person.
"And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight inside the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom." Anais Nin
Bereaved1
Supporting

Postby Bereaved1 » Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:29 am

Being Aquarius and 50 years ahead of my time all my life, I see that REAL Spirituality [not religion which I see as the Corporation of spirituality] is moving towards the same objective. In all it's flavors and forms it is simply the common sense of doing good as needed to yourself and others.
"And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight inside the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom." Anais Nin
Bereaved1
Supporting

Postby lorel » Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:21 am

I am still at a loss as to a young girl who asked me out, committed suicide three month after I went into the airforce in 1988. she did it in a violent way with a shotgun on new years night. She wanted to aske me out, did not ask directly, but casually though my brother in a phone conversation. I did not want to associate with anyone with drugs.

Do boys/girls who take mild drugs like pot, more apt to take there lives then those who are drug free? BTW, as a teen/20s, had depression and still have it but its been treated with
lorel
Visitor

Postby psyquestor » Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:06 am

lorel wrote:Do boys/girls who take mild drugs like pot, more apt to take there lives then those who are drug free? BTW, as a teen/20s, had depression and still have it but its been treated with

There are statistics that show there is a prevalence of alcohol and drug abuse prior to suicide. How long before? I'm not certain. Is it pertinent? I'm not certain. I feel that at least some of those who use drugs are trying to self medicate. I do believe that "abuse" is the key word, but again, I'm no expert. Here are some statistics:

http://www.psychiatrictimes.com/suicide/content/article/10168/1780669
http://www.nimh.nih.gov/health/publications/suicide-in-the-us-statistics-and-prevention/index.shtml#factors (listed under risk factors)
http://www.samhsa.gov/samhsanewsletter/Volume_17_Number_1/SubstanceAbuseAndSuicide.aspx

As for never having used vs using marijuana; there is research to suggest a correlation between some psychosis and the use of pot. It is classified as a psychogenic drug. This is to say, in some individuals, it can produce a psychotic effect. There have been studies in regards to schizoaffective disorders, but I'm not sure to what extent or what methodology was used to calculate the results. I do know there was some evidence that there was a correlation between one's first use of pot and the onset of symptoms for a high percentage of schizophrenics. What that has to do with other mental health issues is unclear.
Tammy
Proud Army Mom

I thought I would lay down and die after losing my Son to suicide.
Instead I chose to fight the monster that killed him.
http://www.afsp.org

Hold On, Pain Ends
psyquestor
Supporting

Previous

Return to Suicide Prevention