Ribbons/Symbols

Share special memories of the person that you remember.

Ribbons/Symbols

Postby aprilzosia » Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:39 pm

I have been having a lot of difficulty with the various symbols available for Survivors of Suicide (a term for people who survive those lost to suicide). Here's what I have found after some searching:

[*]suicide awareness: purple ribbon; red ribbon
[*]suicide prevention: turquoise ribbon
[*]survivors of suicide: yellow ribbon with a heart on it
[*]suicide: yellow ribbon

Most of these colors are shared. Yellow, of course, with supporting the troops. Red with HIV/AIDS. Purpose and Turquoise are also colors associated with domestic violence and child rape. So, the ribbon colors aren't that clear.

What I am looking for are ideas. A good friend suggested Survivors use a piece of fabric from their loved one's clothing, or some fabric they would like, and write their name on it.

The idea is to create a symbol that can start a conversation--a symbol that Survivors of Suicide can wear to show they are not ashamed of suicide. Something to show that people want to/are willing to talk about suicide. Something to make our losses less taboo. Something to show the people we come in contact with that we have a loss that we are willing to share and talk about. Something to celebrate our struggle to survive when our loved ones could not.

What ideas do you have for colors/symbols to represent Survivors of Suicide?
aprilzosia
Visitor

Purple and Teal

Postby Karyl » Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:40 am

April,

Purple and teal ribbons are commonly used and worn to represent people left behind after suicide, suicide grief. (That's why our logo at the top is a purple and teal ribbon, although the colors look slightly off there.)
Karyl
Site Admin

Re: Ribbons/Symbols

Postby aprilzosia » Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:06 am

In my research, I have found that purple and teal often represent suicide awareness and prevention. Those are great causes, but not what I am looking for. As I mentioned in the post, those colors are also widely known as domestic violence and child rape colors. So, I was just looking for something a little different. Something specific to survivors (like us) that doesn't carry with it the meaning of the yellow ribbon.
aprilzosia
Visitor

Return to Memories