Labor Day

Share special memories of the person that you remember.

Labor Day

Postby suepred » Sun Sep 02, 2012 6:01 am

This holiday especially puts me in mind of my dear husband Mikey. Mikey was a proud union member his whole life. He started out in the steel mills following family tradition right out of high school. He was the youngest foreman every in his mill. Both he and his father helped many young men in his neighborhood hold meaningful work, or put themselves through college to do other things. As the steel mills closed he than drove a city bus for sometime. Mikey said it was like being a cop without a gun in dealing with the crazy public on mass transit! After we married he became a member of the Laborers union local373. Mikey was a skilled laborer who took classes made available by his union to always stay relevant in a competitive construction world. He literally broke his back through his hard work, and had surgery which most people never would have worked after. All he wanted was to return to work. I am very proud of my husband and tomorrow our city holds it's Labor day parade which brings back all kinds of memories. Let us all remember people who sacrificed for our rights to work in safe, clean environments, for decent wages. I will always remain a proud union wife. Happy holiday to all. peace suepred.
suepred
Regular

Re: Labor Day

Postby psyquestor » Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:52 am

Well said Sue. Your pride shines through in your post. Thank you for sharing this part of Mikey with us. (((hugs)))
Tammy
Proud Army Mom

I thought I would lay down and die after losing my Son to suicide.
Instead I chose to fight the monster that killed him.
http://www.afsp.org

Hold On, Pain Ends
psyquestor
Supporting

Postby Bereaved1 » Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:08 am

Thank you, Supred, for reminding me of the essence of Labor Day and your dear husband's commitment and integrity. Happy Labor Day. http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=en ... hGuhfBk5xk
"And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight inside the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom." Anais Nin
Bereaved1
Supporting

Postby Blossom » Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:21 pm

I love your post supred...you are right, Mikey was part of a whole - on behalf of others, for himself and for both of you. They are beautiful, noble qualities that make the world go round and they have not disappeared. Never doubt that legacy - it lives. I hope you have bagpipes in your Labor Day parade over there.

(from a family of once-was lively dinner table thumping)
Blossom x

If nothing else, give refuge to those in need.
Blossom
Mentor

Postby Suzanne » Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:33 pm

suepred,
Hats off to Mikey today. We need to keep his spirit of sacrifice and integrity alive in the American workplace. Happy Labor Day!
Suzanne
Wife of Dave 10/17/47-11/1/06
Read our story
http://books.google.com/books?id=4zThE8 ... A7o6s-fPpU
Suzanne
Active

Postby suepred » Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:19 am

Thank you all for your kind thoughts. I know my husband is proud. Peace suepred.
suepred
Regular

Postby cali » Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:41 am

Yes, suepred. Thank you for your post. I am proud of both of you.
cali
Supporting

Return to Memories