Many years ago...

Share special memories of the person that you remember.

Re: Many years ago...

Postby cmarie » Wed May 30, 2012 8:04 am

Sparks in the darkness, farting toddlers... And not even the same story.
Liam was about 9, we were having a big BBQ, lots of people. There was a game going on - Liam on the trampoline, jumping high, high, high- people throwing balls at him - everyone watching... One more jump up! And his shorts fall down! It was priceless!

When Liam was kindergarten age, he did, what we ended up calling the slap dance every morning upon getting out of bed - humming/singing a song, and slapping his body all over (not hard!). We got it one video one morning!

Lonelymom, I am coming up to the two year anniversary of losing my boy, and the smile before the tears has just started to happen, and it is very subtle. But it is there.
I'll love you forever,
I'll like you for always.
As long as I'm living,
My baby you'll be.
cmarie
Supporting

Postby cali » Wed May 30, 2012 1:42 pm

My boy never crawled on his knees, or crept on the floor. He would get to his hands and feet, and rock strenuously, front to back, his head craning forward, making "arrrr arrrr" noises. Then one day when he was six months old he just took off, butt in the air, like a little elephant racing through the house. a few months after that he was walking, and shortly thereafter, he and I were in the shallow end of the pool and I was gently swirling him back and forth through the water. We got close to the edge and before I knew what was happening he scrambled out, ran to the deep end, and laughing his head off at the joke of it all looked me straight in the eyes with his twinkling, mischievousness ones- and jumped in. I about had a heart attack and was to him in a flash, and of course he was fine and still laughing and the funniest thing in the world - scaring me!
cali
Supporting

Postby lonelymom » Thu May 31, 2012 2:23 am

How soothing these memories are. How did the years slip by so fast? When did his joy turn to sadness? How could such a happy little boy become so hopeless as a man, right before my eyes. I've spent a lot of time this week end thinking about his journey. Thanks Blossom for sending me back far enough to remember some unforgettable delightful times. Through all of the sadness I did have a few lighthearted moments that I wish I could have back. My all time favorite was on a weekend excursion to a beautiful water fall in Michigan's Upper Peninsula. Jeff was about nine yrs. old. We rented a row boat to go over to the lower falls and walk around the cascades. There was an area to beech the boat and we got out and played in the water, climbing over the slippery rocks and sliding into the current. When it was time to go back to shore I jumped in the boat and assumed the middle seat, facing the stern in rowing position. Jeff said he would push us off. We were off and afloat and I was pulling on those oars like crazy. I heard the faint sound of a little voice yelling Mom.....mom. I turned around to see what he wanted and he was nowhere to be found. It wasn't until I heard MOTHER! that I realized he was holding on for dear life to the bow as I dragged him across the river in a pretty strong current. I rushed to the front of the boat and looked down. There he was holding on for dear life. He had pushed us away but failed to make it into the boat before I started rowing away. He was laughing so hard I could barely pull him aboard. He later wrote about the experience in an 8th grade English class and the essay won 2nd place in a contest. He prize was tickets to the Harlem Globe trotters. These fond memories are truly medicinal, but they also make me yearn for him so, No new memories will ever be made. It always ends on a sad note these days.
lonelymom
Regular

Postby Blossom » Thu May 31, 2012 3:21 am

I know they make us yearn....but I cannot see any other way than to take the 'sting' with the pleasure, the bitter with the sweet. I don't think I would choose painless amnesia. I don't mean to isolate anyone here, but those little boys antics...the special gleam of dare for mother, the horror of losing one's shorts in 'man' mode, the laughing boy overboard, the slap dance...(I have missed a few here) - they really are priceless and all of those could have been any of our boys at any time.

I have really enjoyed all of these stories. Thank you, thank you for giving me a smile (and a laugh) at the end of a long day.

Here's one more...(can't resist)...in summer, I loved giving my kids a peeled mango on the back steps. To really enjoy a mango, you have to sort of throw yourself at it. I saved dirty washing by stripping them naked...then hosing them off in the garden after they'd finished. Real kid heaven!

We have not lost those wonderful memories, and I don't think they have either. If they are alive in us then we are alive in them. It's a bit weird but my heart knows it is true. May our dear sweet children feel the warmth of our sharing.

ps luckily the sparks and farts were not parts of the same story....might have been a small explosion!

pps 'baby elephant' is perfect!
Blossom x

If nothing else, give refuge to those in need.
Blossom
Mentor

Postby psyquestor » Thu May 31, 2012 7:10 am

(((((lonelymom))))) My son grew up in those Falls. He was always going up to Tahquamenon and fishing with his buddies or sometimes his Mom. That place is magical and I could just picture your son's adventure there with you. I wish we had had more time to spend there as well.
Tammy
Proud Army Mom

I thought I would lay down and die after losing my Son to suicide.
Instead I chose to fight the monster that killed him.
http://www.afsp.org

Hold On, Pain Ends
psyquestor
Supporting

Postby lonelymom » Thu May 31, 2012 3:38 pm

All of your stories have brought me back to when life was good. I just want it back. But I know I can't have it right now and it makes me oh so sad. After Fathers Day we can finally have a reprieve from the special holiday emotions and get back to working on accepting our grief without falling apart.

One more for the road....We were at the mall where I'd meet Dad and Jeff for lunch on occasion. It was close to work and we could get in and out in an hour. Jeff was three or four and had to go potty. We used the handicapped stall in the ladies room. He power piddled and then I decided I should go too. Since it was a larger stall I had him wait while I went. As I dropped my drawers he hollered with amazement, "You've got hair on your butt! Mom, I didn't know you had hair on your butt!" I was dying with embarrassment. He was such an observant little boy, so full of curiosity. There was another woman in the room. I didn't know if I should wait in the stall for her to leave or just go for it. I had to get back to work and Jeff wanted out. So I chose to flee as fast as I could. "Wait Mom, we have to wash our hands" "We can wash them later, come on" No, now. The woman exited her stall trying desperately to hold back her amusement. She was snorting and could not keep from laughing hysterically. It blew out of her mouth and she gasped for breath. She said, "oh honey its OK, I have two boys of my own so I know whats its like when they discover their Mom has hair on her butt." I could feel the blood drain and the heat of embarrassment flow down to my toes. We dried our hands, I smiled and shook my head and repeatedly told him sush, just sush.
lonelymom
Regular

Postby psyquestor » Thu May 31, 2012 4:23 pm

Oh my gosh lonelymom, I'm smiling and laughing over your memories. How sweet your son was! It made me remember one about Brian too. (okay two!)

Brian was about 4 and burst in to the bathroom as I was getting out of the shower. He looked at me and I looked at him and I said "haven't I told you to knock before entering?" He says Sorry Mom, I really gotta go! So I finished wrapping myself in my towel and headed out. I was sure he was going to have questions, so I waited. Later that night, sure enough he came up with one. "Hey Mom, why do you have stripes all over your belly like that?" Of all the things my smart witty intelligent son could come up with, he chose my stupid stretch marks. I told him they were from when Mommy had his baby sister in her belly and they would go away. (at least I really hoped they would - especially now! How self conscious I was after that!!!) I thought for sure he was going to ask if my penis had fallen off, but then I realized, he had a baby sister now - he already knew all that.

The other time was from when we first moved here and were staying with my parents. Grandpa (my Dad) was trying to show Brian how "big boy's pee'd" because he hated that his grandson sat down to piddle. He had tried the step stool etc. but Brian was having a real hard time with it and making a big ness. So he's standing there using the toilet to show him how it's done. He says "Grandpa, someday will my ego be as big as your ego?"(that's what he called his penis - no idea where it came from). My Dad says (proudly because he was a weird man) If you eat all your vegetables and clean your plate, then yes, your ego will grow up to be just as big as Grandpa's. (says he was thinking he's really done a good deed adding the vegetable part) Then Brian says "Grandpa, someday will your ego be as big as Uncle David's?" "No, Brian, not any more it wont...not any more." (How's that for Karma!) ;) It was a favorite family story for a long long time. Yea, my Dad was an odd one. I figure it was the 20+ years in the Navy that did that to him LOL>
Tammy
Proud Army Mom

I thought I would lay down and die after losing my Son to suicide.
Instead I chose to fight the monster that killed him.
http://www.afsp.org

Hold On, Pain Ends
psyquestor
Supporting

Postby Blossom » Thu May 31, 2012 5:19 pm

morning smiles!
Blossom x

If nothing else, give refuge to those in need.
Blossom
Mentor

Postby cmarie » Thu May 31, 2012 6:09 pm

Thank yo all so much! I have had a long week, I am tired, alone and sad.

I am smiling through my tears now...
I'll love you forever,
I'll like you for always.
As long as I'm living,
My baby you'll be.
cmarie
Supporting

Postby lonelymom » Thu May 31, 2012 9:10 pm

@psyquestor: doesn't ego and penis go hand in hand? no pun intended.
lonelymom
Regular

PreviousNext

Return to Memories