The Velveteen Rabbit

Share special memories of the person that you remember.

The Velveteen Rabbit

Postby JohnFromPA » Wed Nov 19, 2014 3:00 pm

My girlfriend loved "The Velveteen Rabbit".

I bought her a nice hardcover edition for her birthday, and I noticed she hardly ever read it. When I asked why, she said in a kind of embarrassed voice, "I like to have it read to me." I told her I wish she would have told me sooner! I think reading to someone is one of the most intimate things you can do! So I started reading it to her, and by the time I got to page four, she was asleep. That's the way it went. She would like me to read it to her when she was feeling anxious or depressed, and I don't think she once made it to the end of the book without falling asleep. We would use the book to reaffirm to each other that our love was "real".

I wish I had been there on her last day to read it to her. Maybe things would have turned out differently.
JohnFromPA
Visitor

Re: The Velveteen Rabbit

Postby Hurt » Sun Jan 04, 2015 3:19 pm

John we don't know if it would have changed anything. We often get stuck in the "what ifs" and they can drive you crazy if you let them. I think that was so sweet of you to get the book and read it to her. You are a good man. I'm sorry she left you and hope that you are getting some help with your healing journey.
Hurt

Return to Memories