understanding death by hanging

How does grief make you feel? Angy? Sad? Lonely? Afraid? Worried? Tired? Empty?

Re: understanding death by hanging

Postby oaksmith » Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:00 pm

Thank you for sharing this! My husband hung himself 3 weeks ago. He had been in so much pain that knowing he lost conciseness makes it a bit easier to bare.
oaksmith

Postby cmarie » Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:06 pm

It helps alot doesn't it? My son hung himseln f in September. Reading the information here about hanging brought me a small measure of peace. I am so very sorry for your loss. If you are able to share about your husband, we would love to hear about him.
Take care of yourself.
I'll love you forever,
I'll like you for always.
As long as I'm living,
My baby you'll be.
cmarie
Supporting

Postby SeaLass » Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:19 am

I am sorry for your loss
Thank you for sharing this information. My mother also hung herself and I looked up the autopsy report and police report and though they had a lot of information but not what I was looking for. I wondered how long it was before she lost consciousness. I thought and I am not sure why that suicide by hanging was not as common, did you come across any information about that during your search?? For some reason i find comfort in breaking apart why and how my mother took her own life.
SeaLass
Visitor

Postby Snf » Mon Sep 19, 2011 6:20 am

Hi all, Thank you for all the insight. My ex partner hung herself on our staircase 3 weeks ago and I have spent alot of dark hours trying to work out how it had actually been possible as its low ceilinged and a tight 180' corner. Inquest is still going on and I don't know how much info will given about how it happened. Friends and family who know our house have all been saying why didn't she stand up, her feet would have been within inches of a step but this discussion has helped answer that.
I cry in the shower everytime, it seems normal already.

As far as friends go although many are finding it difficult to know whether to contact me and don't know what to say, I am contacting people to force myself out if even for a couple of hours. I am trying to spread the burden on friends by seeing many people, some of which are not even close friends, for a couple of hours or 1 night. I will continue to contact people rather than wait to be contacted as people do have their own lives but they still care even if they are afraid of making contact.
Snf

Postby Juliet » Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:47 am

My heartmate died by hanging himself with a bedsheet. He was 6-3 and he could have stood up, which is one of the things that disturb me the most. Sometimes I wonder if he had any time to back out. But I know he had to have been pretty determined if he could have just stood up. I read that hanging causes a soothing, warm, and peaceful feeling. I try to just think about this. Hanging seems to be a very common method so I pray to all the Gods of the universe that it's not a painful tormented death.

When it first happened I looked for every shred of information on the internet about hanging. Even looked up gruesome pictures. I just couldn't help myself. I told my therapist about it and she said I had to stop. I didn't. I looked at a video from a kid who hung himself on webcame (I think from Sweden). BAD BAD IDEA. Worst idea ever. Haven't told my therapist about that. The kid's image is replaced with my love's and I don't know why I torture myself so. Even when I was clicking to play it I could hear my love saying, "J, why are you doing this to yourself. Don't do it." I did it anyway.
Juliet
Visitor

Postby sulene » Thu Sep 29, 2011 2:17 pm

I DIDNT LOSE KEVI BY HIM HANGING HIMSELF, BUT I ALSO FROZE WHEN I READ YOUR POST. KEV SHOT HIMSELF, I LEFT THE ROOM FOR A SECOND OR TWO. THEN I HEARD THE SHOT GO OFF. I NEVER KNEW THAT A SHOT CAN BE THAT LOUD]. IT STILL SOUNDS IN MY HEAD. IT TOOK EVERY OUNCE OF STRENTH TO MOVE MY TREMBLING BODY TO THAT ROOM, I ONLY REACTED WHEN I HEARD HIM COUGHING TWICE...AGAIN , LOUD, AND CHOKING,,EXHALING, NEVER TO INHALE AGAIN. THIS IS WHERE I STOP.. I CANT SEEM TO GO FURTHER.THOUGH AL THE IMAGES THEREAFTER, IS FOREVER BURNT INTO MY MIND.LETS JUST SAY, WHE I GOT TO HIM, HE WAS ALLREADY GONE. I LOST THE LITTLE SANITY I HAD LEFT OVER, AFTER THAT. AT LEAST, HE WENT QUICK. HE TOLD ME HE WOULD, AND SO HE DID. LOVE U KEVI.
sulene

Postby tamh1234 » Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:12 pm

I have read the reports that oaksmith posted about at the beginning of this thread. I had her email them to me. I can tell you that it did bring me some peace. Over and over the reports showed evidence that hanging causes the person to pass out within 8-13 seconds. My brother also hung himself in a way where all he had to do was stand up to stop it. I had wondered if maybe he had changed his mind at the last minute but wasn't able to stop it. I wondered if he hung there suffering until finally he died. I now know that he didn't have enough time to stand up even if he had thought to stop it. I am glad that he didn't suffer either. The thought of him suffering and in pain was tearing me apart emotionally.
I love you, little brother, and miss you more than words could ever say.
Kenny 9/10/61 - 08/24/10
Theresa
tamh1234
Regular

Postby TRmom » Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:33 am

My son died by this method of partial suspension hanging (feet on the ground) The medical examiners office explained to me they do loose conscientiousness very quickly 8-10 seconds at the most and after that they do not feel any pain. It takes about 15-20 minutes after that for the heart to stop. After they loose conscientiousness there is no turning back.
TRmom

Postby aeramismom » Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:33 am

My 13 yr old daughter hung herself too, I had to know so I asked all the hard questions . I talked to everyone there after I regained reality . The cororner who was there told me the same thing , but he also told me a few other things that i dont see on here posted . They do lose conciseness with in 2 -5 seconds ( a little shorter ) but same differance. I had a hard time, thinking that they were just telling me this to make me feel better and I asked him how he knew this was true. He said once you compress those arteries you pass out. My karate teacher confirmd this and showed in demo this to be a fact. However still not convinced i asked more questions . They can tell how quickly the person lost conciseness by blood settlement and if at any point they had ANY muscle movement because after the blood flow stops ( compressed arteries ) it brusies and marks muscles . My daugher could of stood up ..... but she did not . I am not sure she knew how quickly it was going to be over because she texted the girl next door to confirm she was killing herself at that very momement. That girl did not bother to come 20 feet to help my daughter. However I do know that if not properly tied around neck it can take 15 to 35 min to die and thats when it is an aweful sight for whoever is to find them. The peacefull look is the look that confirms it only took seconds ..... not enough time to really change your mind.
aeramismom
Visitor

Postby grievingforlife » Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:56 am

My brother did not look peaceful at all when I found him... Reading all this helps me though, I really hope he didn't suffer.
grievingforlife
Visitor

PreviousNext

Return to Venting