Today...

For suggestions on what helps us cope after our lives have been affected by suicide.

Today...

Postby Blossom » Sun Dec 14, 2014 5:35 am

Today, at work, there was a young man sitting in a chair looking at his ipad. He looked like my son.....but I was walking past and I wasn't wearing my glasses. I walked past him a few times in the next hour and I CHOSE not to put my glasses on - I liked him just the way he was, all mine. I completely immersed myself in this experience, but I wasn't kidding myself either. I enjoyed it. My son had retreated from his physical presence for so long now, that it was nice to 'see' him again.

I like being this far down the track to find that there are times when such a situation can almost be playful without the unavoidable follow-up kick in the solar plexus.

I will never ever work out this grief thing. It is very hard to describe.

No need to reply. Just nice to share.
Blossom x

If nothing else, give refuge to those in need.
Blossom
Mentor

Re: Today...

Postby cali » Mon Dec 15, 2014 6:04 pm

I have had a similar experience Blossom. I am away from home, and there is a young man here who physically resembles my son just a little. But his manner, his enthusiasm, his honest way of communicating, gives me the thrill of the familiar. And a kick in the gut... I guess I am not quite as far along. I remember how I cherished listening to him, and I wish so much that he was still here, still sharing his ideas and listening as well as he did. But I know what you mean when it is just the physical resemblance... that is a pleasure.

In a way, he is still here when I have these experiences- just too brief. I'm still waiting for the day that the gratitude outweighs the longing...
xo
cali
Supporting

Re: Today...

Postby Blossom » Tue Dec 16, 2014 4:44 am

Cali....I have dropped out twice....welcome to Australia.

Here is my last attempt at replying, and in brief.

Let us become old ladies who feast at the smorgasboard of humanity, as it suits us!

Here is your Christmas poem...

We shall be careful / Michael Leunig

We pray for the fragile ecology of the
heart and the mind. The sense of meaning
So finely assembled and balanced and so
easily overturned. The careful, ongoing
construction of LOVE.

As painful and exhausting as the struggle for truth
and as easily abandoned. Hard fought and won
are the shifting sands of this sacred ground, this ecology.

Easy to desecrate and difficult to defend,
this vulnerable joy, this exposed faith,
this precious order. This sanity.

We shall be careful. With others and
with ourselves.

Amen.

cali, jan xxx
Blossom x

If nothing else, give refuge to those in need.
Blossom
Mentor

Return to Coping