Is suicide a choice

For suggestions on what helps us cope after our lives have been affected by suicide.

Re: Is suicide a choice

Postby cali » Wed May 23, 2012 3:36 am

unbearable pain is unbearable. I don't call that a choice. rational explanations are easy to write. finding another solution when no other can be seen as realistic or desirable or hope containing is a double bind that makes other action impossible. Pretending that it's a choice is a last ditch effort of a suicidal person at self empowerment and a convoluted self view of being compassionate toward others.
cali
Supporting

Postby Blossom » Wed May 23, 2012 3:54 am

" a convoluted self view of being compassionate toward others." - yep (gently). I have the words on a bit of paper somewhere...part of me is drawn to his greatness....part of me goes shrug, shrug, shrug...I am left to contemplate 'oblivion' ...through living and dealing with answers not asked for and questions not answered. I received a gift today....the words of another...he was looking for rest. Timely words, and my heart rested with them.
Blossom x

If nothing else, give refuge to those in need.
Blossom
Mentor

Postby Bereaved1 » Wed May 23, 2012 7:06 am

"Pretending that it's a choice is a last ditch effort of a suicidal person at self empowerment" Thanks for your words, Cali. Self empowerment is more important that we are lead to believe. How to empower yourself to face and live through anything should be acceptable and taught.
"And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight inside the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom." Anais Nin
Bereaved1
Supporting

Postby cali » Wed May 23, 2012 11:57 am

Last edited by cali on Fri Sep 27, 2013 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cali
Supporting

Postby samwong » Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:49 am

Find the need to share.

"
Over 90 percent of the people who die by suicide have a mental illness at the time of their death. And the vast majority of those mental illnesses are untreated, under-treated, or not properly treated.

People who die by suicide are not thinking clearly -- and they cannot possibly think clearly -- because their brain is not functioning properly at the time they pass away from suicide.

Their brain is giving them overwhelming signals to die.

They have a chemical imbalance in their brain, are in extreme emotional pain, and their mind is saying "you must die by suicide to end this."

Again -- it is an overwhelming condition.

They do not "choose" do die -- their mental illness causes them to die -- just like some people die from heart disease, cancer, or other things that are out of their control.

And every time an ignorant person makes the statement that "people choose to die by suicide" the stigma of suicide is perpetuated.

Let me draw an analogy between suicide and obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD): People with OCD have recurrent, overwhelming, obsessive thoughts that compel them to act in ways that others do not understand. For instance, a person with OCD may believe that his or her house is contaminated -- even though it is immaculately clean -- and thus compulsively washes his or her hands to get rid of the "germs."

So do people who are otherwise very intelligent simply "choose" to wash their hands 500 times a day?

No.

They have a disorder and need treatment.

Now, someone with severe depression -- and untreated depression is the number one cause for suicide -- has a similar signal that their brain is sending to them, and that signal is this: you must die by suicide.

That "signal" is incessant and overwhelming.

Again, the person does not "choose" suicide; the mental illness causes the suicide.

One more time: People do not choose suicide; their mental illness causes the suicide.

People who die by suicide are strong, intelligent, loving, caring people -- who happen to have a mental illness.

And there should be no stigma whatsoever associated with that mental illness -- regardless of what it is -- as well as no stigma associated with suicide.

The people who do not understand these basic, irrefutable truths about suicide are part of a serious problem -- and that problem is ignorance. And, unbelievably, many psychologists, psychiatrists, suicidologists, and members of the clergy are part of this problem -- and thus they actually perpetuate stigma instead of fighting it!

So, don't be part of the problem. Share your understanding about suicide with others, and help combat this ignorance.

And be as supportive, helpful, and understanding as possible to suicide survivors. They deserve our unconditional love.

And always remember this: People who die by suicide do not choose to die, they have a mental illness -- and it is the mental illness that causes them to pass away. "
I LOVE MY MUM! SEE YOU IN HEAVEN WHEN MY TIME HAS COME.
GOD, Please show your loves to all.
samwong
Active

Postby Crystl » Thu Jun 14, 2012 3:15 am

thanks for sharing this Sam...I so agree with what was said in the article..
*hug*
Last edited by Crystl on Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Crystl
Supporting

Postby cmarie » Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:40 am

Thanks Sam, the article has given me some words to help deal with the ignorance about suicide.
I'll love you forever,
I'll like you for always.
As long as I'm living,
My baby you'll be.
cmarie
Supporting

Postby insearchofpeace » Sun Jun 17, 2012 1:36 pm

x
Last edited by insearchofpeace on Sun Sep 08, 2013 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Perfer et obdura, dolor hic tibi proderit olim" ~Ovid
insearchofpeace
Regular

Postby samwong » Wed May 29, 2013 11:45 am

Bring up this for awareness.
I LOVE MY MUM! SEE YOU IN HEAVEN WHEN MY TIME HAS COME.
GOD, Please show your loves to all.
samwong
Active

Postby lainie » Thu May 30, 2013 9:33 am

Thank you Sam..and your daughter is beautiful....my personal feelings on suicide...I think our loved ones were already gone before they took their lives...like a brain stroke..the illness took them and their minds beforehand...if this make s any sense...glad to hear from you dear sam,

Lanie
lainie
Regular

PreviousNext

Return to Coping