Another loss

Especially for those who have lost a friend to suicide, who is not included in the other Connecting forums.

Another loss

Postby psyquestor » Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:25 am

Three days ago I received a friendship request on Facebook. I hadn't heard from this friend in a long time and was pretty excited to think of re-connecting with him. He moved away a few years ago, so we lost touch. He didn't send a message, just the friend request and of course I confirmed it right away. Yesterday I found out that he took his own life the very next day. I feel so badly to find that things hadn't been going well for him and to know that he was in so much pain :( I just keep wondering, why? Why contact me and not say a word then take your life? It hurts so much! Especially since I know he knew about my son's suicide and how deeply it has hurt me. Am I the person people think of now when they think about ending their life? Or worse all of the phone calls / messages I got when people started finding out. Do they think I have answers they don't?

Amid all this hurt and confusion, my thought is that somehow the suicide of my beloved son has defined me in people's minds. :(

I will miss my friend and hope he can explain this on that bar stool in heaven I'm sure they've reserved for me.

Thanks for listening, I know you guys will understand my jumbled mess of thoughts about this :(
Tammy
Proud Army Mom

I thought I would lay down and die after losing my Son to suicide.
Instead I chose to fight the monster that killed him.
http://www.afsp.org

Hold On, Pain Ends
psyquestor
Supporting

Re: Another loss

Postby momtossm » Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:07 pm

oh no. I am sorry this happened, I don't really have anything to say but couldn't read and not post anything. HUGS
momtossm

Postby crisa » Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:37 pm

So sorry honey! AGGGGHHHHHHH!! Ok I needed to scream that outloud!
In the time between my children's father suicide and my bf's suicide, I had 5 men, all fathers come to me saying they wanted to suicide. I spent endless all nighters, trying to talk sense into them. I always said, it's hard enough for me to see my kids w/o their dad, don't make me have to look at your kids knowing you did the same thing as my children's father.
I always thought why are they coming to me of all ppl? Then I had a man, a father send me texts through the night one night about 6 mos ago, saying he couldn't go on and such. I was asleep I never heard his text I saw them the next day, I sent him a text and he responded so I knew he was still alive. I told him call 911 and I gave him numbers to suicide prevention hotlines and our local crisis center. He's still alive. I was po'd that he pulled that on me of all ppl. More po'd b/c he did it for attention, just like he lied about his wife being dead a few mos prior, while I was sitting at the ER waiting to go to trauma to see my son after his wreck. Needless to say I've backed off of that friendship!
Yea, I too feel like ppl look at me and think of me and the accosiate me w/ the word suicide! I hope this isn't the case for you in your life!
I'm really sorry you are having to go through this!
Crystal
crisa
Active

Postby Crystl » Thu Apr 07, 2011 5:02 pm

I'm so sorry you had this happen..you didn't need it
I had a friend take his life a few weeks ago and it refreshes and adds to our unbearable pain
I hope you find a little comfort in the fact that he maybe thought enough of you as a friend to contact and most likely say goodbye in his own way..
*hugs*
take care ok
Crystl
Supporting

Postby ScottsMom » Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:36 pm

I'm so sorry this happened.

This might not ever feel good- but it is possible his friend request was a way of connecting without a goodbye. Scott made tons of calls in the hour before and left a message to hook up later or just hung up on voicemail. I think he just wanted to connect one more time with his people.

Maybe you were one of your friends people. Someone he held dear.

I'm sorry
V--
ScottsMom
Mentor

Postby psyquestor » Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:27 pm

Thank you for all of the thoughtful replies. I'm feeling a bit better today. I have started to simply ignore phone calls and messages right now. The inevitable "did you hear?" has been shut off for now. It's just too much.

(((hugs)))
Tammy
Proud Army Mom

I thought I would lay down and die after losing my Son to suicide.
Instead I chose to fight the monster that killed him.
http://www.afsp.org

Hold On, Pain Ends
psyquestor
Supporting

Postby Wendi » Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:25 am

I am so sorry about your friend and son. I am dealing with the loss of a friend of mine to suicide but I can't imagine trying to deal with the loss of two loved ones. If you ever want to talk I would like to share our stories.

Wendi
Friend of Brandon
Wendi
Visitor

Postby Jason » Fri May 15, 2015 4:21 am

I can't believe this... I just got home from a stressful night at work and found out that a friend of mine that has been depressed lately took his life today. He was such a considerate and kind man. It just brings back so much pain... his poor mother and wife.Sorry. **Update I saw them yesterday and today. They are surrounded by family and friends for now.
July 1986 - Oct 2011. Whispering nightly. "Rebecca, I love you. I forgive you. I miss you. I will hold you again."
Jason

Return to Friends and Others