Simons story

Especially for those who have lost a sister or brother to suicide

Simons story

Postby auntyjuju » Mon Dec 29, 2014 2:11 pm

My dear brother Simon had a chronic alcohol problem all of his life just like my Dad who traumatised our whole entire childhood untill he died when he was just 52 years old. Simon was 18 at the time. He went to art school at the age of 20 this is when he himself started to drink heavily for the next 22 years which resulted in total and utter chaos to every single aspect of his life, work, relationships, friends and family. he ended up on the street and there was absolutly nothing we could do, we all loved him dearly and worried about him constantly. In 2003 me my partner and 4 year old daughter moved to France and 5 years ago in 2009 Simon out of the blue went into rehab, got clean, found a flat and got a little dog who he adored, his first real crack at responsibility at the age of 42. He visited us 3 times a year and became part of the furniture, amazing with my daughter, fabulous cook, always had his nose stuck in a book, very engaging and articulate, friendly to everyone he met. His fatal error was he did'nt tend to his recovery, he stopped going to AA meetings and therefor not addressing why he drank in the first place, this eventually came and bit him on the behind. On the 10th of October 2014 he picked up a bottle of whisky. On the 10th of November just 4 weeks later the police found him throwing himself into the traffic, they took him to the station but he was so disturbed they thought the best place for him was a psychiatric unit. The strangest thing was, was that he wasn't drunk or high and we believe in our experience that he went from 3 bottles of whisky a day to nothing, he must of had a moment of clarity and just stopped, this is so dangerous and what caused his psychotic episode. Once he was taken to ' a place of safety' ( I choke on these words) he told the staff that he wanted to die and that he had taken the stone from the Devil who had given him an infinity pill and that he was coming for him. Just 2hrs later my dear brother had managed to block his airways with a sheet of screwed up paper given to him by the ' vigilant' staff, he then went into cardiac arrest. He was taken to the intensive care unit at a Bristol hospital (UK) His brain was dead, no longer able to feel any sort of human emotion what so ever. He survived the heart attack, doctors said his last 5 years of healthy living and his avid cycling made him as strong as an ox. My Mum, sister and I stayed by his bed untill the end, it took 9 agonising days for him to finally be at peace. I'm heart broken to think that he wasn't drunk that he was trying to stop drinking and this was all so avoidable had he been observed and cared for properly once in the pschy unit, they were supposed to keep him safe. There will be a coroners inquest on the 4th of March 2014 .

auntyjuju
Visitor

auntyjuju

Re: Simons story

Postby Cschwab » Thu Jan 01, 2015 3:43 am

I am sorry for your brother Simon and the pain that lives within you.
I have been exposed to suicidal people who have been successful and unsuccessful in their attempts. My sister's husband completed his attempt while in the hospital under suicide watch. It was a very difficult situation for my sister and her ability to fight the Medical System as they didn't respond therapeutically???? My stepbrother had admitted himself into the hospital for detox. The hospital had no rooms left in what they call the psychiatric unit so he was held on
general emergency unit on "suicide watch". Unfortunately he completed suicide hours after they doctors said they were releasing him the next morning because they felt he could cope on his own. It took over two years of inquests to make changes to our hospital system when in comes to drug/alcohol-withdraw. I pray that our hospitals take patients seriously. It takes a lot of strength to go for help as it takes special people to care for those that need the help.
My heart goes out to all effected by the loss of a loved one to suicide.
I hope more positive images come to mind and that their fears and struggles are released by angles and understanding.

Corinnia

Cschwab

Re: Simons story

Postby auntyjuju » Thu Jan 01, 2015 1:43 pm

Thank you pal for reading and responding to Simons story. I feel for your loss I really do. Take care of your sister. Even after 2 short months I feel almost apologetic around some people that I'm still grieving for my dear brother. Please be aware of what I have just said, the pain subsides but we are changed forever even in the knowledge that our loved one who took their life is no longer suffering.
auntyjuju

Return to For Siblings